No ice cream maker? No worries. You can still make parfait! This easy recipe for ice cream sandwiches takes a few shortcuts but tastes absolutely phenomenal.
15 minutes (use store bought chocolate chip biscuits to cut preparation time out altogether)
30 minutes (plus five hours freezing)
If you're making your own biscuits
150g salted butter, softened
150g brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 large egg
225g plain flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
200g chocolate chips
For the parfait
600ml ml pouring cream
150g caster sugar
125g egg yolks (about 7 eggs)
1 sachet Davis gelatine
50g chocolate chips, chopped or blitzed in a food processor
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- If you're amking your own biscuits, preheat the oven to 190C and line two baking trays with baking paper. If you're using store-bought biscuits, skip ahead and start whisking your cream!
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until it becomes creamy.
- Beat in the vanilla bean paste and egg.
- Sieve the flour, baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in with a wooden spoon.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir well.
- Using a teaspoon, place small mounds of the mixture well apart on the baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for 8–10 mins until light brown on the edges and still slightly soft in the centre, then set aside to cool.
- Whisk cream and vanilla bean paste in an electric mixer until soft peaks form (2-3 minutes), then refrigerate until required.
- Pour 125 ml of hot water into a container and add 1 sachet of Davis Gelatine. Stir briskly with a fork until dissolved. Set aside for a moment.
- Stir caster sugar and 70ml water in a saucepan over medium heat to dissolve, bring to the boil and cook without stirring until mixture reaches 114C on a cooking thermometer (3-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk yolks in an electric mixer until pale (2-4 minutes).
- Gradually add sugar syrup, whisking continuously until incorporated.
- Gradually add your gelatine mixture.
- Whisk until cooled to room temperature (5-7 minutes), fold in whipped cream, then spread in a 20cm x 30cm cake tin lined with baking paper, smooth top, and freeze until frozen (5 hours).
- Use a warm cookie cutter to cut out rounds of your parfait, and sandwich each round with two biscuits.