DifficultyEasy - Med - Hard
Cheese, Onion and Chive Scrolls
Wholesome, delicious and packed with Aussie goodness, these cheese and onion scrolls are the perfect lunchtime snack!
Wholesome, delicious and packed with Aussie goodness, these cheese, onion and chive scrolls are great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Handy hint: If you like to snack, bake them on a Sunday, ready to go as snacks for the work week!
1 hour 30 mins
1 Australian Grown brown onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp Cobram Estate olive oil
250 gm (1 2/3 cups) bread flour
100 gm (2/3 cup) rye flour
90 ml water
10 gm brown sugar
7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast
2 tbsp finely chopped Australian Grown chives
70 gm each Gruyère and aged Cheddar, coarsely grated
125 ml (½ cup) milk, plus extra for brushing
2 tsp sea salt
- Stir onion and oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat until tender (4-5 minutes), set aside.
- Combine flours, sugar, yeast, chives, 50gm cheddar, onion mixture and 2 tsp sea salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Warm milk and 90ml water in a saucepan over low heat until lukewarm, add to flour mixture, knead until smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes).
- Transfer dough mixture to a lightly oiled bowl, cover and stand in a warm place until doubled in size (45 minutes-1 hour).
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a 20cm x 40cm rectangle. Scatter with remaining cheeses then roll to form a long cylinder.
- Cut into 8 pieces, place cut-side down on an oven tray lined with baking paper, stand until slightly risen (10 minutes).
- Brush tops with milk and bake until golden (20-25 minutes).
- Serve warm.