DifficultyEasy - Med - Hard
Australia Day pavlova
The great Aussie Pavlova! With a delicate meringue crust on the outside, soft marshmallow on the inside, topped with cream and seasonal fruit, the pav is always a favourite at Australia Day gatherings.
- Preheat oven to 120°C (100°C fan-forced). Mark a 20cm circle on baking paper; cover oven tray with paper.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add caster sugar, beating until dissolved after each addition (this should take 6 or 7 minutes). Gently fold in cornflour and vinegar.
- Spread meringue inside circle on prepared tray. Using palette knife or spatula, shape sides of meringue and level the top.
- Bake for about 1½ hours or until dry. Turn oven off and leave pavlova to cool in oven with door ajar.
- An hour before serving, beat cream, sugar and essence in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fill pavlova with cream mixture and decorate with fruit.
Please note: Undecorated pavlova can be made several days ahead; store in an airtight container.