Baking for a special occasion? Why not try something a little bit different, with this light and refreshing lemon and lavender cake.
For the cake
250g natural yoghurt
1 ½ cups flour
3/4 cups sugar
2 tsp dried lavender
1 vanilla bean (split and scraped for its seeds)
1 lemon (finely grated for lemon zest and squeezed for lemon juice)
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
A generous pinch of salt
For the icing
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 lemon (finely grated for lemon zest [to decorate] and squeezed for lemon juice)
2 tsp dried lavender to sprinkle to decorate
- Heat the oven to 180°C (fan forced) and grease and line a 8½ x 4½ inch cake tin.
- Process the sugar, lavender, and vanilla bean seeds in a food processor to make ‘lavender sugar’.
- Beat the butter and lavender sugar until light and fluffy (for at least five minutes), then add the eggs, one at a time. Mix in the yoghurt.
- Sift the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually pour in your wet mixture, stirring as you go, being careful not to overwork the batter.
- Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Pour the mixture into the pre-prepared tin and bake in the oven for 55 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Mix the icing sugar and milk with a dash of lemon juice. Glaze the cake and sprinkle it with the dried lavender and grated lemon to decorate.
Image credit: Annie Spratt