Looking for a mid-week dinner that’s both healthy and delicious? Check out our simple beetroot and kale risotto! This vegetarian dish is sure to impress and is easy to prepare.
8 large stalks of cavolo nero (Tuscan kale)
2 tablespoons Pukara Estate extra virgin olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups (400 g) arborio rice
½ cup (125 ml) Edgemill white wine
450 g fresh beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated (shredded)
Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
6 ½ –7 cups vegetable stock
1 tablespoon butter ½ cup (45 g)
Parmesan, freshly grated
Soft goats ’ cheese, for serving
- Thoroughly wash the kale. Remove and discard the entire thick part of the stalk and finely chop the leaves. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and fry gently until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir the rice into the onion and garlic mixture and cook until the rice turns opaque. Pour in the wine and keep stirring until it is absorbed.
- Stir the beetroot and any of its juices into the rice, season well with salt and pepper and cook for about 1 minute.
- In another saucepan, heat the stock until hot and leave on a low simmer on the stove throughout the cooking time.
- Add one ladleful of stock to the rice and stir continuously until it is absorbed. Continue doing this one ladleful at a time until there is just over a ladleful of stock left. At this stage the rice should be almost cooked.
- Stir in the kale and continue cooking for another 4–5 minutes, slowly adding the stock until the rice is fully cooked and the kale is tender.
- Stir in the butter, Parmesan and crumbled cheese, check and adjust the seasoning and serve immediately, garnished with some extra crumbled goats ’ cheese.