DifficultyEasy - Med - Hard
Vegan (and delicious!) falafel wraps
Vegan recipes can sometimes turn out bland, but this little number is sure to delicious! Our trick? It's all in the herbs, spices and dressing. Make your own pitas, or buy ready made to save time.
Vegan recipes can sometimes turn out bland, but this little number is delicious! Our trick? It's all in the herbs, spices and dressing. Make your own pitas, or buy ready made to save time.
15 minutes (plus 2.5 hours if you're making your own pita bread)
For the wraps (to save time, buy ready made)
1/2 cup warm water (not hot or boiling)
1 tsp active dry or instant yeast
1 1/4 cups flour (plus a little extra for sprinkling on your bench)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp olive oil (plus a little extra for lining your bowl)
For the filling
800g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained and patted dry
2 onions, chopped
1 bunch of parsley, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
4 tbsp plain flour
4 tsp olive oil (plus a little extra for frying)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 lettuce, chopped, to add some greens to your wrap
For the dressing
1/2 cup tahini
3/4 cups water (as needed)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
The juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- If you're making your own pitas, mix the water and yeast together and let it sit for five minutes. Then add the remaining pita ingredients and mix until 'shaggy'.
- Line a bowl with clingwrap, grease it with a little olive oil and pop yor dough in it. Cover with a cloth or more clingwrap and put it in the fridge to rest until it has doubled in size (for 1-2 hours).
- When the dough has risen, gently deflate it and turn it out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces and gently flatten each piece into a thick disk. Sprinkle with a little more flour and then cover with a kitchen towel or clingwrap until you're ready to bake them.
- Using a floured rolling pin, on a lightly floured work surface, roll each piece into a circle 8-9 inches wide and about a quarter inch thick.
- Cover a frying pan in a thin layer of oil and fry each disk for 30 seconds, until you see bubbles starting to form. Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side, then flip again and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Keep cooked pitas covered with a clean tea towel while cooking remaining pitas. Set aside.
- Mix your falafel ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Then shape your mixture into patties. Add a little more oil to your pan and cook each falafel patty for three minutes on each side.
- Now it's time to assemble your wraps! Put a couple of patties in each wrap with a little chopped lettuce.
- Drizzle with your dressing and serve!