DifficultyEasy - Med - Hard
Parma or Parmi? Whichever you call it, check out our recipe to make a pub-style chicken parmigiana in the comfort of your kitchen!
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced. In a small saucepan, heat a swirl of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Cook onion in the saucepan until softened (2-3 minutes). Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add passata, salt, brown sugar and butter, and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place chicken breast between 2 sheets of baking paper, or inside a plastic bag. Pound with a mallet or rolling pin until the breast is around 2cm in thickness.
- Put flour and panko breadcrumbs in two separate shallow bowls. Whisk eggs in another shallow bowl.
- Press both sides of the chicken into flour, then shake off excess. Coat each side in egg, and then place in the bowl of panko breadcrumbs. Press the chicken into the breadcrumbs to adhere, then transfer to a plate.
- In a large frying pan on medium high heat, put enough olive oil to coat the base of the chicken. When the oil is hot, cook chicken until golden (2 minutes).
- Place chicken breasts onto lined oven tray. Top each breast with 2 spoonfulls of tomato sauce, and then top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through (8-10 minutes).
- Top with chopped parsley and serve with a side salad and chips - like a real pub!