DifficultyEasy - Med - Hard
Hot cross buns
Easter has arrived! Here's a recipe for traditional fruit hot cross buns. Serve them fresh, serve them toasted - either way they're guaranteed to disappear in a flash! Best of all these delicious Easter treats can be whipped up with Australian Made, Australian Grown ingredients. Hop to it!
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 185ml (3/4 cup) warm milk
- 125ml (1/2 cup) cold milk
- 50g butter, melted
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 525g (3 1/2 cups) plain flour, 75g (1/2 cup) plain flour
- 200g mixed dried fruit
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- A pinch of salt
- 160ml (2/3 cup) water
Make the dough
- Whisk yeast, 2 teaspoons sugar and the 3/4 cup of warm milk in a jug. Set aside for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Whisk in the 1/2 cup of cold milk, butter and egg.
- Combine flour, dried fruit, 1 teaspoon sugar, mixed spice and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture. Use a wooden spoon to stir until combined then use your hands to bring the dough together in the bowl.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10-15 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to prove for 90 mins or until doubled in size.
Shape the buns
- Punch down the centre of the dough with your fist.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 2 minutes.
- Shape into 12 even portions.
- Brush a 16 x 26cm (base measurement) slab pan with melted butter to grease.
- Place portions side by side in the prepared pan.
- Cover with a clean tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place to prove for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
Bake and decorate
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine flour and water to make a paste.
- Place in a sealable plastic bag. Cut 1 corner from the bag to make a 2mm hole.
- Pipe crosses onto the buns, place in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 160°C. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, combine 1/3 cup of sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Simmer until the glaze thickens.
- Transfer buns to a wire rack. Brush tops with glaze.
- Set aside to cool slightly.