DifficultyEasy - Med - Hard
Dark chocolate cupcakes with buttercream icing
Bake something sweet for someone sweet this Valentine’s Day! We think this recipe for dark chocolate cupcakes with buttercream icing is the perfect way to show some love for Aussie products too – because it’s easy to make with locally sourced in ingredients.
- 125g butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup (185ml) water
- 1 cup (200g) brown sugar
- 100g dark chocolate baking block, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (40g) cocoa
- 1/4 cup (30g) almond meal
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 100g dark chocolate melts
- Red heart sprinkles, for decoration
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line twelve 1/3-cup (80ml) muffin pans with paper cases.
- Combine the butter, water, sugar and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until butter and chocolate melt and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Sift the combined flours and cocoa over the chocolate mixture. Add the almond meal and use a balloon whisk to stir until combined. Add the egg and stir to combine. Pour evenly among the lined pans. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter in a bowl until pale. Gradually add icing sugar mixture and milk, beating constantly until combined.
- Use a small palette knife to spread the icing over each cupcake. Decorate with edible heart sprinkles, if desired.